CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

KANYAKUMARI .... :sighs:

So the day finally came for me to meet Kanyakumari. And just like to any other momentous meeting, this too had its many hindrances. A freak cyclone lashed the southern coast of India only a couple of days back, and its remnant clouds were still pouring torrential rain. The morning of, the rain subsided, though huge cumulous clouds lingered. I arrived at the train station an hour early, simply because. But the train was delayed an hour, so I sat eating diabetic biscuits with a man whose only English words were "Obama good blackman".

During the train journey, I saw some of the most beautiful scenery India (or anywhere else in the world) could offer. On my left side... the lofty Cardamom Hills, green from fresh rains rose abruptly from the greener rice paddies. On my right side... the rice paddies slowly dissappear as the dunes to an unfathomable sea appears. This journey alone could've made a man happy, but not me... for She awaited.

After three happy train hours, I arrived at Kanyakumari. It was what I expected... and not. Torquoise waters, pastel-colored houses, beautiful weather .... and.... tourists! AHHH. What was I expecting? Only me and the tip of India? One on one with the seas? A poem written with winds and waves? :Sighs: I guess those things are better left in my imagination. Hundreds of tourists, mostly local Tamils and other Indians, flooded the small town, which I realized is also a pilgrimage site for followers of Vivekananda.

Nonetheless, I was happy. Happy to see the beauty of this spot. Happy to have made it here after years of pondering. Happy to have touched the very tip of India - whose geographic, historic, religious, etc significance is beyond words. I was happy. Not Cloud 9 happy... but happy.

(Pics coming soon!)


share on: facebook

0 comments: