CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The End of India

Ever have one of those feelings... I must do this or else the whole world around me will crumble...When mixed with wanderlust, it's not just a matter of stubborness or persistence. Rather, a scene of close madness prevails. For many years, I had a borderline fascination slash obession with two very specific locations in India. First is Coorg (or Kodagu), a region of misty hills and spice gardens populated by a group of people called the Kodava - warrior community thought to have migrated from Persia millenia ago. The second region is Kanyakumari... ah yes ... Kanyakumari, Sanskrit for "La Mademoiselle Virgine".
My interest in Kanyakumari started about five years while speaking to my dad about his worldwide adventures. He worked in a ship, so the list of ports he visited was endless. However, his eyes sparkled when he spoke of one particular place... The Cardamom Coast. This coastline winds down India's southwestern coast and ends at Kanyakumari. Also called Cape Comorin, this is where the contiguous Indian Subcontinent ends - a meeting point of three bodies of water... the Indian Ocean, the Bay of Bengal, and the Arabian Sea. I really never knew why this particular place interested my father so much, consider he's been to far more crazy places. Though Allah has every right to take away what He has created, a small convo with my dad wouldve sufficed. But since there is no long-distance call to Heaven, I decided to find out for myself.
I have overlooked the tourist gems of India, the advice of Lonely Planet (o my!), and invitations from friends just to come to HER. I don't know what to expect ... a cool sea breeze at least if nothing else?
Ah yes... Kanyakumari ... even before touching you, why must you enchant me like so?


share on: facebook

0 comments: