CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 8, 2010

The City of Joy

My last few days in India were spent in Kolkata, where I started my journey. After a month of South Indianization, I was surprisingly very happy to be back to a city where my Benglo-Urdu identity was right at home. Kolkata is not a city that'll win you over at first impression... it takes time to admire this ex-colonial metropolis. Kolkata was once called the City of Joy. There are many reasons why it was given such an appraising name... but for me, it was because of its thriving art scene. I ended my India rendezvous with a play that dealt with themes like India and Bengal's identity, gender preferences, and one's orientation in life. No ethnocentrism involved when I say only Bengalis can create such art. :p


Below: The famous Nandan Theatres where I saw this play.


share on: facebook

0 comments: