CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tangail: Land of Sarees and Saccharine

Upon hearing that I would be going to Tangail for the weekend, friends and colleagues painted a clear picture of what Tangail was going to be like... a town full of sweets and sarees. And due to my still Barney-induced imagination, I started envisioning saree-clad damsels in distress serving me sweets. Regardless, I was uber-excited for this venture into the heartland of Bengal.


Tangail was everything I expected - and a bit more. We visited saree weavers carrying out a centuries-old tradition. It was a sight to see - dozens of nimble, busy hands pulling and tugging exuberantly colorful threads home more to an artist's palette than in these loud loom houses. These Tangailah sarees are famous throughout Bangladesh for their fine weaving and beautiful designs.


My next stop... Sweets. I was never a big fan of sweets - whether Bengali or American. I preferred the occasion rice pudding or ras malai, but never a whole ChamCham. Yes, the dreaded Chamcham. For me, it is synonymous with diabetic overdose. After one spoonful, I put my sweet-dependent manhood to shame, while my local Tangailah friends gobbled 5 whole chamchams in one sitting... yeeesh!


Enjoy les pics!









share on: facebook

0 comments: