CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 23, 2009

If you don’t brag, you lag… behind … a lot. Yes

There are many things we’re taught in the US that may seem alien to other countries. Wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Eat with your mouth closed. Don’t take advantage of the weak. All these things seem to be so common in American culture, being taught to children at such an early age. But I was surprised when some of these things were missing in Bangladeshi culture … one of them concerning bragging.

I still remember vividly when I saw scolded for bragging … Ms. Moffat, you did justice by making me wash the blackboard for saying my drawing was the ‘bestest’. I wish I can clone my second grade teacher and attach her to every Bangladeshi. Here, bragging gets you far. You must stand up and say it loud and clear. I am the best at this. I am awesome at that. You suck at this, but I don’t. I could have done that much better than you. I guess in a country of 150 million with very limited resources, this is the only way you can get your common needs. To us “outsiders”, these habits are pretty resented. To Bangladeshis, it’s the only way to move ahead.

But still… Mrs. Moffat, if you’re still alive and kicking, come to Bangladesh and make them wash blackboards.


share on: facebook

0 comments: